quarta-feira, 20 de dezembro de 2023

Interview with Derek Tyler Attico, author of "The Autobiography of Benjamin Sisko"



Derek Tyler Attico is already a well-known name in the field of science fiction. In the year 2023, the author, based in New York, has gained even more prominence with the release of “The Autobiography of Benjamin Sisko”, a book praised by both critics and readers alike, and which is the focal point of this interview.

Attico’s literary talent has been recognized in recent years with significant awards, such as the Excellence in Playwriting Award from the Dramatist Guild of America and two victories in the Star Trek: Strange New Worlds short story contest.

In addition to his writing and photography, Attico contributes as a freelance writer for the Star Trek Adventures role-playing game and as a game designer for the highly anticipated Renegade Legion RPG.

With a background in English and History, Attico not only shines in literature and photography but is also a passionate advocate for the arts, human rights, and inclusion.

Deeply captivated by the autobiography of the Emissary of the Prophets, I sought out the author, who graciously agreed to participate in the interview. In this conversation, we get to know a bit more about the thoughts of Derek Tyler Attico, whose creative vision and intellectual depth shine through in his recent release, “The Autobiography of Benjamin Sisko”.

Derek, without exaggeration, ‘The Autobiography of Benjamin Sisko’ was my most highly anticipated release of 2023. My expectations for the book were high, and they were not only met but surpassed. Thank you for enriching Trekker culture with this remarkable work.

Eduardo, thank you for those kind words. I am delighted you enjoyed the book!

Before we discuss the book, I would like you to share how Star Trek DS9 entered your life and what impact the series had on you.

Like many, I watched DS9 the first time it aired in 1993. The first three minutes of “ Emissary “ premiere episode blew my mind. The story and pacing were much faster and darker than anyone was used to. Mr. Avery Brooks, as Commander Benjamin Sisko, was electric on screen. Allies were mistrustful of each other, enemies wore many different faces, and most aliens in this corner of the Quadrant didn’t care for the Federation. This was a very different Star Trek, and it quickly became my favorite.

Personally, I loved it because even though it was different, it still had what I call the foundational themes of Star Trek: Friendship, science, exploration, and hope. It showed me (and all of us) there was another way to look at the Star Trek Universe. In many ways, DS9 looked at the Federation and humanity from the alien point of view and, in doing so, held up a mirror of critique as only Star Trek can. In the premiere episode, Sisko used baseball to explain linear time to the wormhole aliens. As a young writer, I was very impressed with that level of writing. I found it very inspiring.

What is the importance of Star Trek: DS9 to the history of Star Trek?

Star Trek would not be where it is today without DS9. A small example of this is the third season of Picard. It wouldn’t have been as good without the DS9 story elements in S3 of Picard. Section 31 is another excellent example. DS9 looked at Star Trek from a more realistic point of view, moved the universe forward, and asked the beginning of many questions about itself that are still being asked on the current new Star Trek shows today. Also, in Benjamin Sisko, we saw the first black lead of a Star Trek series and the first father/family man who is also a captain. These are very, very powerful themes.

Could you tell us a bit about the journey of the book, from the moment you were chosen to write it until the moment you finished it?

Titan Books read a Star Trek short story I wrote titled “The Dreamer and the Dream.” It was a DS9 Benny Russel story published by Pocket Books for their Star Trek Strange New Worlds Anthology contest for the 50th anniversary of Star Trek in 2016. After reading that story, they realized I would be a good fit for The Autobiography of Benjamin Sisko. I had a conversation with the managing editor, and he liked my ideas for the book. I got the project. This was also my first novel, so it was a very personal and professional journey. I came up with the book’s story, themes, and new characters myself. I realized this book had an opportunity to not only deliver the origin story of Benjamin Sisko but it could also be a father’s message to his son. The book could also make a statement about life in the 24th century and, in doing so, be the mirror Star Trek has been known to be for all of us.

The book wasn’t linear. After I wrote the very beginning of the book (the prologue), I immediately went and wrote the last page of the book. After months of writing, when I got to the end of the book, it was already done and waiting for me. It was a gratifying and emotional experience to see that the last page was already done and that part of my journey had come to an end.

Benjamin Sisko is certainly one of the most complex and nuanced characters in the entire franchise. What was the greatest challenge you faced in portraying a character with these characteristics?

Benjamin’s most significant challenge was creating his family and young life. Everything about his family, siblings, and grandparents had to feel right for me, or I knew it wouldn’t feel right and be believable for the reader. Also, in writing a young Ben, he has to be written so that he grows into the man (and voice) we’re all familiar with. The reader needs to see (and feel) the arc of development we all have as we grow from childhood into adulthood.

Something that has always bothered me, and I’ve never understood, is the fact that Benjamin Sisko’s autobiography was delayed, with the book about Janeway being published first. What is your assessment of why this happened?

That’s a great question. From what I understand, part of it was how Sisko is left at the end of DS9. Benjamin is in the Celestial Temple with the Prophets. This made doing an autobiography challenging in itself. Part of my conversation with the Managing Editor at Titan Books (George Sandison) was about how to address this. When I explained my idea for the book and how it would allow it to be a proper autobiography and be in Sisko’s voice (just like the other great Captain autobiographies from Titan), he loved it!

The Brazilian Star Trek publishing market was once very relevant, but nowadays, it is quite impoverished. The last official book was published in 2016. Of course, there are fan-made books like mine that have been published since then. However, the fact is that fiction works, which were widely published in Brazil in the 90s, now seem to have been forgotten by publishers. Most Brazilian Trekkers do not read in English, so the publication of translations is always important. So, my final question would actually be to ask for guidance:

What do you suggest for Brazilian fans to take action, perhaps through a campaign or something similar, to demonstrate interest in a Portuguese translation of ‘The Autobiography of Benjamin Sisko’?

Wow, that is another excellent question. First, I’d like to say it would be an honor to see this book translated into another language — especially a Portuguese translation! Let me begin by saying I can’t speak for Titan Books or claim to know the nuance of this subject. However, with that being said, a campaign certainly would help! The publisher needs to know there is an interest in justifying the printing in another language. I’m happy to listen to any ideas you may have!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário